Monday, January 12, 2009

Vegeterian Potato Kugel

I have this somewhat old recipe book which belonged to my mother, it has some really good recipes. I usually make a Zucchini Slice recipe from it which I really like, but I didn't have any zucchini so I thought I'd make the recipe next to it since it looked kind of similar and I had all the ingredients. I don't think it's that good by itself but it was great with the chorizo sausage and green beans that I served it with. I also think mine turned out too flat, since I have the impression that potato kugel is usually a bit thicker, but that was probably because of the pan I used to bake it in. This made me want to try other kugel recipes, I was looking around online and there are a million recipes with different ingredients !

Directions
  • 3 medium potatoes, grated
  • 2 small carrots, grated
  • 1 small onion, finely chopped
  • 1 clove garlic, crushed
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
  • 2 tablespoons bread crumbs
  • 1/2 cup milk powder
  • 1/2 cup Cheddar cheese, grated
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1/2 cup natural yogurt
  • 2 shallots
Directions
  1. In a large bowl mix together the potatoes, carrots, onion and garlic. Pour the egg and the oil over the vegetable mixture, then add the parsley, bread crumbs and milk powder. Mix well.
  2. Spread mixture into a well greased pan, base measuring 7 inches, and dot with butter. Bake in a preheated oven of 300˚F for 30 minutes. Sprinkle with the Cheddar cheese and bake for a further 15 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
  3. Serve warm or cold topped with combined yogurt and chopped shallots.

No comments: