Friday, January 2, 2009

Rolled Sugar Cookies

I meant to make sugar cookies for Christmas but unfortunately never got around to it. I still wanted to make them even though a few days late. This was also the first time I made sugar cookies and I was a little nervous since I had to roll the dough, it seemed like a bigger task than it actually is ! They turned out great and I really liked the icing. The only thing is that the next day the icing didn't remain shiny as I thought it would be but I thought it was better than any sugar cookie frosting I tasted before. I made 60 cookies with this recipe.

Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 cups butter, softened
  • 2 cups white sugar
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 5 cups all purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt









Directions

  1. In a large bowl cream together the butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in the eggs and vanilla. Stir in the flour, baking powder and salt. Cover, and chill dough for at least one hour or overnight.
  2. Roll out the though on a floured surface 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick. Cut into shapes with a cookie cutter. Place the cookies on an ungreased cooking sheet 1 inch apart.
  3. Bake the cookies in a preheated oven of 400˚F for 6-8 minutes.

Sugar Cookie Icing



Ingredients
  • 2 cups confectioner's sugar
  • 4 teaspoons milk
  • 4 teaspoons light corn syrup
  • 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
  • assorted food coloring
Directions
  1. In a small bowl stir together the confectioner's sugar and milk until smooth. Beat in corn syrup and almond extract until icing is smooth and glossy. If the icing is too thick, add more corn syrup.
  2. Divide into separate bowls and add food coloring to desired intensity. Paint the cookies with a brush.
The original recipe was from http://www.allrecipes.com.

No comments: