Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Bolognese Sauce

This has got to be my brother's favorite, so when he comes over I make it for him and he wolfs it down. It's really my mother's recipe but I think it's the best Bolognese sauce I ever had. It must be the sage that really give the sauce a nice flavor. The recipe should be for two servings, I always make this amount when it's just for myself then I know what I will be having for lunch or dinner the next day, or two !

Ingredients
  • 8 oz ground beef
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1/2 cup carrots, finely chopped
  • 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
  • 1/2 cup red cooking wine
  • 1/2 beef bouillon cube
  • 1/2 can chopped tomatoes
  • 1 tablespoon tomato paste
  • 1/2 cup frozen peas
  • 1/2 teaspoon sugar
  • 1 teaspoon sage
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1/2 cup water
  • salt & pepper

Directions

  1. In a large skillet fry the onion and carrots in olive oil on low heat until onion is soft, 2 - 3 minutes. Add the sage, garlic and ground beef and cook on high heat until the beef is browned.
  2. Add the wine, tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar, beef bouillon, water, salt and pepper. Bring to boil and put on low heat.
  3. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Add the peas and simmer for another 10 minutes or until the sauce is thick.

No comments: