Saturday, December 27, 2008

Spanakopita

This was my second attempt at making Spanakopita. The first time I tried it didn't turn out so good, the filing was ok but not what I had in mind, but the crust was horrible. This time I used a different brand of phyllo pastry and didn't follow a recipe for the filling but experimented a little and it turned out much better ! Next time I make it I will try a few changes though, I will use 1 or 2 more phyllo sheets and will add more feta cheese. I made 5 servings with this recipe.

Ingredients
  • 1 package Phyllo pastry sheets
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 tablespoon water
  • 1/2 cup feta cheese, crumble
  • 8 oz frozen spinach, thawed and well drained
  • 1 medium onion, finely chopped
  • 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, finely chopped
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon dill
  • 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded


Directions
  1. Thaw the phyllo sheets at room temperature, about 40 minutes. Lightly beat 1 egg, add the water and set aside.
  2. Lightly beat the 2 remaining eggs and mix with the feta cheese, spinach, onion, parsley, dill, garlic powder and Parmesan cheese.
  3. Cut the phyllo sheets into 8 inch squares. Place two pieces of phyllo on top of each other. Spoon 2 tablespoons of the spinach mixture in the center of the square and brush the sides of the square with the egg mixture. Fold the squares over the mixture to form a triangle and crimp the edges to seal.
  4. Place on a baking sheet, brush with the egg mixture and bake in a preheated oven of 400˚F for 20-25 minutes or until golden.

No comments: